The website for Witnesham Primary can be found here.
At Otley Primary School we believe that learning a language prepares pupils to participate in a rapidly changing world in which work and other activities are increasingly carried out in languages other than English. Pupils use language to communicate information responsibly, creatively and with discrimination. They learn how to express their ideas and thoughts in another language and to understand and respond to its speakers. An increase in the ability to use another language promotes initiative and independent learning and encourages diversity within society, whilst promoting an understanding and awareness of the world beyond Otley. It will also provide a sound foundation for learning further languages. We fully support the view that learning a modern foreign language is an entitlement for all pupils during their time at key stage 2. In addition, we believe in taking the opportunity wherever possible to start the process earlier by delivering MFL at key stage 1.
Aims and Objectives of delivering MFL at Otley Primary School:
• Foster a life-long interest in language learning
• Stimulate and encourage curiosity about languages
• Develop children’s awareness of other cultures
• Promote tolerance and understanding of other cultures
• Make comparisons between languages and cultures
• Lay the foundations for future language study in key stage 3 and beyond
• Support work in first language teaching and learning
• Support communication, team work, problem solving and thinking skills
• Develop positive attitudes and make learning another language fun.
• Develop positive relations between pupils and staff
• Challenge and motivate all learners through high expectations, a variety of teaching
styles and an enriched environment.
If you would like to play some language games please click on the picture.
Back to curriculum page